- Published on
Welcome to zeljkovic.sh - V2.0
- Aleksandar Zeljković
After almost 2 years since zeljkovic.sh is launched, I decided it is time to move away from WordPress to something else. In this article, I'm going to explain the reasons and decisions made.
When I made a decision to launch zeljkovic.sh two years ago, I wanted a solution that I could quickly deploy and start delivering content immediately. The solution that I have chosen was:
- platform: WordPress
- infrastructure: AWS Lightsail/Route 53
- certificate: https://certbot.eff.org
- analytics: https://analytics.google.com
- theme: https://wordpress.org/themes/minnak
- backup: https://updraftplus.com
- SEO: https://yoast.com
- and a few other plugins...
Although the full setup was not as straightforward as I expected, it did the work, and I was able to launch it without major issues. The monthly costs of this setup were around $6 per month.
As I already mentioned, the setup itself was not very smooth, since some theme customizations and configurations were difficult to make. The other problems that I was facing along the way were:
- plugins learning curve
- freemium plugins — limited functionality and spam
- limited customization capabilities
- painful updates of plugins, WordPress, PHP and MySQL
- lack of overview and control over static assets
- not being able to keep track of the configuration changes
Because of the problems above, I finally made a decision to migrate my website to something more appropriate for my preferences.
Migration to Next.js and Vercel
After some investigation and small POCs, I decided to move forward with Next.js as an underlying framework. As a baseline template, I am using https://github.com/timlrx/tailwind-nextjs-starter-blog, modified to match my needs. The website is deployed to Vercel, where I'm using a
Hobby free plan. The gains that I got with this migration are:
- full control over all functional and visual components of the website
- articles written in
.mdxwhich make them easier to customize and track changes
- no backup needed (everything is on GitHub)
- infrastructure is managed by Vercel
- lower costs
- out of the box web vitals analytics
- out of the box audience analytics
- superb performance
I hope you like the new look and feel of zeljkovic.sh, and I'm looking forward to making some new interesting content this year!